Table of Contents
TikTok releases #YearOnTikTok as it puts the spotlight on the hottest, most trending TikTok events of the past year. This, as the platform entered 2022 having reached the 1-billion-user benchmark in 2021.
According to Boniswa Sidwaba, TikTok’s Head of Content Programming Sub-Saharan Africa said that what happens on TikTok doesn’t stay on TikTok.
“Whether you’re building a brand, showcasing talent or using the platform as a vehicle for self-expression, we’ve seen creators realising tangible, real-world benefits of creating content on the platform.”
Sidwaba added that this was true in instances where we saw creators addressing pivotal, global issues such as climate change and interacting with communities in a way that is authentic, raw, and creative.
But, we also saw this play out on the lighter side of things, with TikTok being used as an entertainment destination for heart-warming humor.
“In the examples of the content our community enjoyed, this year lies a clear illustration of the fact that TikTok is for everyone, everywhere. This is something that we are proud of and will take into the new year as we continue to grow and develop as a platform for discovery, creativity, and community.”
TikTok Chief Operating Officer, Vanessa Pappas said that they are honored to celebrate our global community who shaped this year’s trends, shared new ideas, learned from one another, and turned their passions into careers and livelihoods throughout 2022.
“It’s been truly inspiring to see over a billion people around the world show their creativity and come together to experience joy and find a sense of belonging on TikTok”.
Breakthrough Stars: 2022’s groundbreaking creators, celebrities, and artists
The year had its fair share of emerging content creators who were destined for superstardom. Amongst these were talented vocalists, dancers and other creators who used the platform to showcase their unique talents. We were both humbled and honoured to see such a rich and diverse mix of talent coming through on the platform this year and really making it big. These were some of Kenya’s favourites:
- realmichaelbundi– Father and Son Perform, I Believe #fayezandbundi
- tukukantu– Sasa Hivi Video Out Now Performed by Tuku Kantu
- mooyadavid1– Surprising my niece!
- mummie_francie– Love is in the air. A welcome home dance for comic relief.
- dabon_shedrack– Kalekadance
FYFaves: The most popular videos of 2022
TikTok’s ‘For You’ feed provides users with a curated offering of content that is tailored to their unique browsing preferences.
Every ‘For You’ feed is different, ensuring that TikTok users are served the content they want to see, when they want to see it.
Check out the videos that made this year’s leading list on ‘For You’ feeds across Kenya:
- mulamwah– Nyumba imeleta shida
- jackie_matubia– Oops!
- profatecomedy– kids be like…
- mohalicious_ – My Goodness! Just use your hand at this point!
- omoshkizangila– Maisha ni yangu we shughulika na
- azz_iad– #greenscreenvideo lets protect our mental health
- iam_bojoo– Catch me if you can!
The Hitmakers in Kenya: Most viewed artists on TikTok
From homemade beats to golden oldies and musical classics, TikTok is the platform to be on if you want to keep abreast of the biggest movements on the music scene. The following were the artists that made it big on TikTok this year:
- Michael Bundi
- Diamond Platnumz
- Bruno K
- Willy Paul
- Wahu Kagwi
- Guardian Angel
- Timmy Tdat
The Playlist: The songs that soundtracked 2022
Music remained the mainstay of TikTok in 2022, with breakthrough artists using the platform to find their voice and the world’s most renowned singers, producers and musical artists using the platform to showcase their latest and greatest. The following is a list of the music that trended on TikTok among Kenyan audiences:
- Nakupenda by Jay Melody
- Mtasubiri (feat. Zuchu) by Diamond Platnumz
- Fire by Zuchu
- Mi Amor (feat. Jovial) By Marioo
- Girlfriend by Ruger
- Sugar by Jay Melody
- Buga (Lo Lo Lo) by Kizz Daniel & Tekno
- Kwikwi by Zuchu
- Rush by Ayra Starr
- Bingo Bango by Madini Classic
Only on TikTok: Trends powered by creative effects, sounds and other product features
TikTok knows no limits when it comes to creativity, and its communities took theirs to new heights this year, powered by the tools and features that are unique to the platform. These were the videos that featured elements that are unique to TikTok:
- Let me pose for you now! – @georginanjenga
- SoftieCam By huseyincanxs Effect – @muniir_aqaa.10
- Waves Effect – @ro.salita
- Let’s get some colour in there – @kilipaul
- How did that get here? – @rashkaboy.2
Big Little Communities: Popular subcultures and niche communities
One of the things that our users have come to know and love about TikTok is the enabling environment it provides for the emergence of niche communities and subcultures. These were some of the communities that captured the imagination of Kenyans this year:
- @kibraunited– African Football
- @edwardteco7– Showing off the skills – its #SportTok
- @kilipaul– Maasai brother and sister dance take on the Calm down song by Rema
TikTok Taught Me: Lessons and life hacks powered by TikTok trends and features
2022 saw TikTok being used to entertain and inspire, but also to inform. Its immense value as an educational platform was clear in the overwhelming popularity of videos that provided users with quick and easy life hacks and bite-sized lessons. These were some of the most popular videos in this category:
- @techytonics– Exel Auto fill using shortcuts
- @thekunalshah.com– Websites that will help you with your business
- @ngurapoultrycare– Poultry farming for small-scale farmers
- @doctorreign– Contrary to popular belief Pneumonia isn’t caused by cold
- @theycallmedaktari– Doctor tips on how to clean and take care of your sexual reproductive organs
Eats on Repeat: #FoodTok trends and other favorites
On TikTok, nothing captures the hearts and minds of Kenyans more than food-related content, with pro chefs, amateur gastronomists and all-round foodies taking to the platform to showcase their culinary creations. These were the recipes and food hacks that made it to the top of menu:
- @theroamingchef– Comfort food at its best
- @tmd.kitchen– Breakfast ideas – Yummy
- @dida_snacks– Time for a Swahili Snack
- @penlopeanngaita– East way to make ox liver
- @kamwari_– Did you know you can use pilau masala on your fish?
- @foodloverstz– Let’s enjoy maini roast!
Best programmed TikTok LIVE
TikTok LIVE dominated the scene with some great LIVE music performances, social change discussions, and social events.
- Talking all things mental health – @azz_iad& @mentallyawareng
- #AfricanApron Live – Celebrating Africa Month – @theroamingchef
- TikTok 4 Peace – Reducing the spread of misinformation – @article19eaf
- #WeAreHere International Womens Month Live – @nikita_kering
- Kibra United Gaming Experience – @kibraunited
Creator of the Year award: This is your chance to vote
TikTok will be awarding content creators across Sub-Saharan Africa through their inaugural TikTok #TopCreator2022 awards.
For this momentous celebration, the platform is calling on all TikTok users throughout the region to vote for their favorite content creator who will stand a chance to be crowned TikTok #TopCreator2022 or #TopCreator2022 runner-up.
Furthermore, the nominated creators will battle it out to earn the crown Creator of the Year title for the whole Sub-Saharan African region.
Public voting will open on TikTok from midnight on 16 December until 23:59 on 23 December. Nominees will be announced on the TikTok Africa newsroom.
Support us by following us on Google News to ensure you don’t miss out on any future updates.
Send comments, press releases, tips, and guest posts to email@example.com.